The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

Legal

Attorneys present opening arguments in Tupac Shakur murder trial

Opening statements began in the trial of Duane Davis, who faces murder charges in the 1996 shooting death of rapper Tupac Shakur.

Published August 17, 2026 at 8:00 PM EDT

The short answer

Opening statements began in the trial of Duane Davis, who faces murder charges in the 1996 shooting death of rapper Tupac Shakur. Attorneys delivered opening statements Monday in the Las Vegas murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis, who is charged in connection with the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur.

Attorneys present opening arguments in Tupac Shakur murder trial

The Facts

Who
Duane "Keffe D" Davis, Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal, and defense attorney Michael Sanft.
What
Murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis for the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur.
When
Monday, August 17, 2026
Where
Clark County District Court, Las Vegas, Nevada
Why
To determine the criminal liability of the only person ever charged in the 1996 death of Tupac Shakur.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. September 7, 1996

    Tupac Shakur shot in Las Vegas following a boxing match event.

  2. 1998

    Duane Davis speaks with the FBI regarding the shooting.

  3. 1999

    Davis provides a second interview to federal investigators.

  4. 2008

    Davis describes the shooting to a federal task force.

  5. 2009

    Davis admits to his role in the killing during a Las Vegas police interview.

  6. 2019

    Davis co-authors and releases his memoir, 'Compton Street Legend.'

  7. 2023

    A grand jury indicts Davis on murder charges.

  8. August 17, 2026

    Trial testimony and opening statements begin in Las Vegas.

Attorneys delivered opening statements Monday in the Las Vegas murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis, who is charged in connection with the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur. Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors that while Davis did not pull the trigger, he allegedly planned the shooting as an act of revenge. Davis, 63, has pleaded not guilty to murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further, or assist a criminal gang.

The case centers on the events of September 7, 1996, when Shakur was shot while riding in a vehicle with Marion "Suge" Knight. Earlier that night, Shakur’s entourage had been filmed attacking Davis' nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, at the MGM Grand. Prosecutors allege Davis spent the following two hours coordinating a retaliatory strike, eventually providing a firearm to individuals in a white Cadillac who fired upon Shakur.

Defense attorney Michael Sanft characterized the prosecution's case as "fiction," arguing that Davis’ past admissions to law enforcement and in his 2019 memoir, "Compton Street Legend," were untrustworthy. Sanft told the jury that Davis was "full of crap" and that investigators previously declined to charge him because they did not find his accounts credible. The defense also cited missing documents and "sloppy" police work from the original 30-year-old investigation as grounds for acquittal.

The scale of the trial involves a projected month-long proceeding featuring testimony from 35 to 45 witnesses. Because the events took place 30 years ago, the jury must weigh the reliability of decades-old memories against recorded statements Davis made to federal and local authorities in 1998, 1999, 2008, and 2009. The prosecution is relying heavily on these self-incriminating statements, while the defense argues that the passage of time and the lack of living eyewitnesses—as the other three men in the Cadillac have died—undermine the state's evidence.

What happens next: The trial is expected to continue through mid-September 2026. Following the opening testimony from retired police officers and witnesses who were present on the Las Vegas Strip during the shooting, the prosecution will continue to present evidence from Davis’ own interviews and published writings. If convicted, the sentencing phase will determine whether Davis serves a life term. The court must also navigate the challenge of identifying witnesses who expressed fear of retribution, a factor cited by at least one witness during Monday’s testimony.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Attorneys present opening arguments in Tupac Shakur murder trial?

Murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis for the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur.

Who is involved?

Duane "Keffe D" Davis, Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal, and defense attorney Michael Sanft.

When did this happen?

Monday, August 17, 2026

Where did this happen?

Clark County District Court, Las Vegas, Nevada

Why does this matter?

To determine the criminal liability of the only person ever charged in the 1996 death of Tupac Shakur.