The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

Business

Canada Announces Retaliatory Tariffs Following Collapse of U.S. Trade Talks

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will retaliate with levies on U.S. goods starting September 8 after trade negotiations failed.

By The Plain RecordUpdated August 22, 2026 at 4:12 PM EDT
Published August 22, 2026 at 2:20 PM EDT

The short answer

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will retaliate with levies on U.S. goods starting September 8 after trade negotiations failed. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Saturday that Canada will implement retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods after trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed late Friday.

Updates (1)

  • Update — August 22, 2026 at 4:12 PM EDT: Trade negotiations between the United States and Canada have failed, resulting in the implementation of new tariffs as both nations exchange blame.
Canada Announces Retaliatory Tariffs Following Collapse of U.S. Trade Talks

The Facts

Who
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer
What
Collapse of trade talks and announcement of retaliatory tariffs
When
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Where
Toronto, Canada and Washington, D.C.
Why
Disagreements over last-minute changes and sovereignty led to the breakdown of talks and the implementation of 50% tariffs.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. August 21, 2026

    Trade negotiations between U.S. and Canada collapse late Friday

  2. August 22, 2026

    Prime Minister Carney announces retaliatory tariffs during Saturday address

  3. September 8, 2026

    Effective date for Canada's retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Saturday that Canada will implement retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods after trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed late Friday. The prime minister stated that Canada would match U.S. levies "dollar-for-dollar" starting September 8, following the imposition of new 50% U.S. tariffs on various Canadian goods.

The breakdown followed more than a year of intermittent negotiations that intensified ahead of a U.S.-imposed deadline. Earlier this week, both nations expressed optimism about reaching an agreement; however, talks failed after both sides accused each other of introducing last-minute changes to previously discussed terms.

Carney stated he walked away from the negotiations because the U.S. terms were "unacceptable" and would have restricted Canada’s ability to sign trade deals with other nations. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News that the U.S. had been willing to reduce some tariffs as part of the deal but accused Canada of making "new demands and walk backs." While U.S. President Donald Trump has not yet commented on the collapse, his administration previously declined to renew the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) in its current form.

For the average household, these tariffs function as a tax on imported goods. Canadian consumers may notice price increases on U.S.-made appliances and electronics starting September 8, while U.S. consumers could see higher costs for Canadian-sourced vehicles, timber for home building, and food products. The "dollar-for-dollar" retaliation strategy means that for every dollar of tax the U.S. collects on Canadian imports, the Canadian government intends to collect an equivalent amount on American exports, potentially impacting the bottom line of small businesses and large manufacturers that rely on cross-border supply chains.

The failure to reach a deal also creates uncertainty for the future of the USMCA, the treaty that governs North American trade. Carney noted that the breakdown was "certainly not good news" for the pact, which Canada and Mexico recently sought to renew for 16 years. With U.S. Trade Representative Greer stating there are no current plans to resume talks, the 50% tariffs remain in place indefinitely. The next significant development is scheduled for September 8, when Canada's retaliatory levies are set to take effect, though the government stated it would release specific details of those counter-measures in the coming days.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Canada Announces Retaliatory Tariffs Following Collapse of U.S. Trade Talks?

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Saturday that Canada will implement retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods after trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed late Friday. The prime minister stated that Canada would match U.S. levies "dollar-for-dollar" starting September 8, following the imposition of new 50% U.S. tariffs on various Canadian goods.

Who is involved?

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer

When did this happen?

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Where did this happen?

Toronto, Canada and Washington, D.C.

Why does this matter?

Disagreements over last-minute changes and sovereignty led to the breakdown of talks and the implementation of 50% tariffs.