The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

Business

Canada suspends trade talks with U.S. and vows retaliatory tariffs

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade talks with the U.S. and announced retaliatory tariffs, citing unfair demands from the Trump administration.

Published August 22, 2026 at 12:20 PM EDT

The short answer

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade talks with the U.S. and announced retaliatory tariffs, citing unfair demands from the Trump administration. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday, choosing to retaliate against U.S. duties rather than accept a tentative agreement. The move followed a week of negotiations that both sides said collapsed due to late-stage demands.

Canada suspends trade talks with U.S. and vows retaliatory tariffs

The Facts

Who
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. President Donald Trump
What
Suspension of U.S.-Canada trade negotiations and announcement of retaliatory tariffs.
When
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Where
Ottawa, Canada and Washington, D.C.
Why
Negotiations collapsed after both sides accused the other of making unacceptable last-minute demands regarding the auto sector, alcohol trade, and third-party trade restrictions.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. 2025

    U.S. travel revenue drops C$3.3 billion

    Losses attributed to Canadian travelers avoiding the U.S. during the ongoing trade friction.

  2. August 21, 2026

    U.S. officials report breakdown in negotiations

    U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer cites Canadian 'walk backs' as talks falter.

  3. August 22, 2026

    PM Carney formally suspends trade talks

    Carney labels U.S. demands 'uneconomic' and meets with provincial leaders.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday, choosing to retaliate against U.S. duties rather than accept a tentative agreement. The move followed a week of negotiations that both sides said collapsed due to late-stage demands. Prime Minister Carney stated that the U.S. "asked too much" and "offered too little," while U.S. officials cited Canadian reversals on previous commitments.

The breakdown ends a period where a deal appeared to be within reach. Tensions between the two longtime trading partners have escalated as Canada vowed to match U.S. tariffs "dollar for dollar." Carney described the U.S. position as a "power play" and characterized the trade dispute as an attack on Canada, asserting that the country is prepared for the resulting economic friction.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer attributed the failure to "new demands and walk backs" by Canadian negotiators. Meanwhile, Canadian Prime Minister Carney cited U.S. demands regarding the automobile sector and restrictions on trade with third-party countries as reasons for the collapse. He also questioned the reliability of the Trump administration, stating that "sometimes its signature is written in pencil."

The scale of the dispute is already evident in specific sectors. U.S. wine exports to Canada have dropped by 78%, representing a $357 million loss in export value, while spirits exports have fallen by more than 70% following provincial bans on American alcohol. Additionally, a Canadian boycott of U.S. travel resulted in an estimated C$3.3 billion ($2.35 billion) loss in U.S. travel revenue last year. These figures translate to significant losses for American hospitality workers and wine producers who rely on the Canadian market.

The standoff sets a precedent for how Canada will handle the upcoming review of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA). In the immediate term, Canadians will likely see continued absence of U.S. products from store shelves and potential price increases or job pressures in manufacturing hubs like Ontario. Prime Minister Carney was scheduled to brief provincial leaders on Saturday afternoon to coordinate a unified national response. Further developments depend on President Trump's reaction to the suspension of talks and the implementation of Canada’s promised counter-tariffs.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Canada suspends trade talks with U.S. and vows retaliatory tariffs?

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday, choosing to retaliate against U.S. duties rather than accept a tentative agreement. The move followed a week of negotiations that both sides said collapsed due to late-stage demands.

Who is involved?

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. President Donald Trump

When did this happen?

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Where did this happen?

Ottawa, Canada and Washington, D.C.

Why does this matter?

Negotiations collapsed after both sides accused the other of making unacceptable last-minute demands regarding the auto sector, alcohol trade, and third-party trade restrictions.