Newly declassified documents released Monday by the White House Transparency Task Force indicate that former Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) told FBI investigators in 2015 he had physical relations with Christine Fang, a suspected Chinese spy. Swalwell, who resigned from Congress in April, stated he met Fang in 2012 at a Chinese American community event and had physical relations with her on a handful of occasions, though he specified they never dated or had a romantic relationship.
The declassified information stems from an FBI investigation into whether Fang provided illegal campaign contributions to Swalwell in exchange for internships in his offices between 2014 and 2017. The probe concluded there was no evidence of a "quid pro quo" exchange. However, investigators determined Fang violated criminal laws, including international bulk cash smuggling and acting as an unregistered foreign agent, before leaving the United States.
Swalwell's attorney, Sara Azari, said in a statement that the documents contain "nothing new" and characterized the release of federal law enforcement information as political retaliation against a critic of the current administration. The House Ethics Committee previously conducted its own two-year investigation into the matter, which it concluded in 2023 without taking further action. Swalwell's resignation from Congress earlier this year followed separate allegations of sexual assault and misconduct from other individuals.
The scale of the impact is defined by the duration of the interactions, spanning roughly five years of congressional office operations and a subsequent decade of federal and ethics investigations. Readers will notice how sensitive law enforcement data regarding a closed investigation was declassified and released to the public by the White House Transparency Task Force on Monday. This release sets a precedent for how internal FBI summaries of interactions between public officials and suspected foreign agents may be handled and disclosed long after the events occurred.
The concrete day-to-day change for the individuals involved is the transition of these details from confidential investigative files to the public record. For Swalwell, who exited Congress in April and dropped out of the California gubernatorial race, the release adds documented details to his public history while he faces separate, unrelated misconduct allegations. The documents also confirm that Fang is barred from reentering the United States and that federal officials determined prosecution was "non-viable" due to national security reasons. No future court dates or legislative votes related to this specific investigation are currently scheduled, as the House Ethics Committee closed its inquiry in 2023.
