The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

Legal

Defense in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Urges Jury to Disregard Client's Past Admissions

Attorneys for Duane 'Keffe D' Davis argued that his past confessions to the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur were fabrications intended to boost book sales.

Published August 20, 2026 at 6:09 AM EDT

The short answer

Attorneys for Duane 'Keffe D' Davis argued that his past confessions to the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur were fabrications intended to boost book sales.

Defense in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Urges Jury to Disregard Client's Past Admissions

The Facts

Who
Duane 'Keffe D' Davis and defense attorney Michael Sanft.
What
Murder trial of Duane 'Keffe D' Davis for the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur.
When
August 2026
Where
Las Vegas, Nevada
Why
Davis is the first person charged in the death of Tupac Shakur; his defense argues his public confessions were false stories meant to sell a memoir.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. September 7, 1996

    Tupac Shakur and associates beat Davis's nephew at MGM Grand casino.

  2. September 7, 1996

    Tupac Shakur is shot in a drive-by near the Las Vegas Strip.

  3. 2019

    Davis publishes 'Compton Street Legend' containing admissions about the shooting.

  4. September 29, 2023

    Police arrest Davis in connection with the 1996 killing.

  5. November 2, 2023

    Davis pleads not guilty in Las Vegas court.

  6. August 17, 2026

    Trial begins with opening statements.

  7. August 18, 2026

    Defense attorney Michael Sanft delivers opening statement challenging client's credibility.

The defense attorney for Duane "Keffe D" Davis, a man accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, told a jury this week that they should not believe his client's past public admissions regarding the crime. Davis, 63, has pleaded not guilty to murder charges despite previously stating in a 2019 book and various media interviews that he was present during the drive-by shooting and provided the weapon used by others in his vehicle.

The trial, which began earlier this week in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, comes 27 years after Shakur died from his injuries following a shooting near the Las Vegas Strip. Prosecutors allege that Davis organized the attack as an act of retaliation after his nephew was beaten by Shakur and others at the MGM Grand casino on September 7, 1996. While police had long suspected Davis, they stated that his public statements provided the evidence necessary for his arrest.

During his opening statement, defense attorney Michael Sanft challenged the validity of his client's own claims, using a presentation slide that labeled them "bullshit." Sanft urged jurors to look for physical evidence to support the stories Davis told in his memoir, "Compton Street Legend." Legal experts noted that this strategy is often used in cases where defendants are accused of making incriminating statements for publicity, though they also warned that calling a client a liar presents a risk if the defendant later testifies to a different version of events.

The case hinges on whether a jury believes Davis’s detailed 2019 written account of the event—in which he described handing a gun to the shooters—was a factual confession or a fabricated story designed to sell books. For the relatives of Shakur, who are attending the proceedings, the trial represents a pursuit of legal closure that has remained elusive for nearly three decades. The proceedings are expected to last up to six weeks, during which time the jury must evaluate the lack of physical evidence against the defendant's specific, self-incriminating public statements.

The decision will set a precedent for how much weight courts give to "clout-chasing" admissions in the absence of corroborating forensic data. If the jury finds Davis's book and interviews to be unreliable, it could influence future cases where media statements are the primary evidence. Following the presentation of evidence and potential testimony from Davis, the jury must reach a unanimous verdict to convict him of the murder charge.

In his book, Davis wrote that he was one of four men in a white Cadillac that pulled alongside the car carrying Shakur and producer Marion “Suge” Knight. Davis claimed he handed a gun to the two men in the back seat, one of whom fired the fatal shots. In court, Sanft argued that the burden remains on the prosecution to prove these events actually happened beyond a reasonable doubt, regardless of what Davis previously said. The trial continues at the Regional Justice Center.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Defense in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Urges Jury to Disregard Client's Past Admissions?

Murder trial of Duane 'Keffe D' Davis for the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur.

Who is involved?

Duane 'Keffe D' Davis and defense attorney Michael Sanft.

When did this happen?

August 2026

Where did this happen?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Why does this matter?

Davis is the first person charged in the death of Tupac Shakur; his defense argues his public confessions were false stories meant to sell a memoir.