The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

National

North Korea Launches Multiple Ballistic Missiles Toward Sea, Japan and South Korea Say

North Korea fired several short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, shortly after President Trump announced plans for a future meeting with Kim Jong Un.

By The Plain RecordUpdated August 20, 2026 at 3:20 PM EDT
Published August 19, 2026 at 8:00 PM EDT

The short answer

North Korea fired several short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, shortly after President Trump announced plans for a future meeting with Kim Jong Un. North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, according to reports from Japanese and South Korean officials.

Updates (1)

  • Update — August 20, 2026 at 3:20 PM EDT: Hours after Trump said he expects to hold new talks with Kim Jong Un, South Korea and Japan said several short-range missiles were launched by the North.
North Korea Launches Multiple Ballistic Missiles Toward Sea, Japan and South Korea Say

The Facts

Who
North Korean military, President Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, and South Korean military officials.
What
North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward its east coast.
When
Thursday morning, August 20, 2026
Where
Pyongyang, North Korea, and the surrounding sea.
Why
The launch follows a U.S. decision to scale back joint military drills and comes amid President Trump's efforts to resume high-level diplomacy with North Korea.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. August 19, 2026

    U.S. and South Korea announce reduction of Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises.

  2. August 19, 2026

    Kim Yo Jong dismisses drill reduction as insufficient.

  3. August 20, 2026

    President Trump announces plan to meet Kim Jong Un later this year.

  4. August 20, 2026

    North Korea fires approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles.

  5. August 21, 2026

    Scheduled end date for scaled-back military exercises.

North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, according to reports from Japanese and South Korean officials. The Japanese prime minister’s office confirmed the detection of the launch, while South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff stated the projectiles were fired from the Pyongyang area toward the east coast. The event occurred hours after U.S. President Donald Trump announced intentions to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year.

The launch follows a U.S. decision on Wednesday to scale back the 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercises with South Korea. President Trump ordered the Pentagon to reduce the drills, citing his relationship with Kim and South Korea’s lack of support regarding the war in Iran. While the exercises were originally scheduled for a longer duration, they are now set to conclude this Friday. Pyongyang has traditionally viewed these annual exercises as rehearsals for an invasion.

Kim Yo Jong, the sister of the North Korean leader, dismissed the reduction of the drills on Wednesday, stating that the aggressive nature of the exercises remained unchanged despite the smaller scale. She also criticized South Korea’s efforts to acquire nuclear-powered submarines and noted other U.S.-led military activities in the region earlier this year. Despite these criticisms, she stated that the relationship between Kim Jong Un and President Trump remains "excellent," though she was unaware of any current direct communication.

For South Korean citizens and government officials, the event highlights a discrepancy in intelligence regarding North Korea’s nuclear capabilities. President Trump stated that Pyongyang possesses 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons, while officials in Seoul estimated the number to be between 80 and 120 warheads. This uncertainty regarding the scale of the North’s arsenal impacts how South Korean leadership, including President Lee Jae Myung, balances the push for homegrown defenses against continued reliance on U.S. military support. South Korean officials confirmed they still do not recognize North Korea as a nuclear-weapon state, a status Kim has sought.

The situation sets a precedent for how diplomatic overtures and military exercises are linked in the region. The immediate knock-on effect is the acceleration of the Ulchi Freedom Shield conclusion, which will be noticed by personnel and local communities near training sites like Yeoncheon by Friday. Future policy may be shaped by the outcome of the proposed meeting between President Trump and Kim Jong Un later this year. In the meantime, South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back stated that Seoul will continue to monitor whether Washington maintains its goal of North Korean denuclearization. The exact dates and location for the next leadership summit have not yet been reported.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: North Korea Launches Multiple Ballistic Missiles Toward Sea, Japan and South Korea Say?

North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward its east coast.

Who is involved?

North Korean military, President Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, and South Korean military officials.

When did this happen?

Thursday morning, August 20, 2026

Where did this happen?

Pyongyang, North Korea, and the surrounding sea.

Why does this matter?

The launch follows a U.S. decision to scale back joint military drills and comes amid President Trump's efforts to resume high-level diplomacy with North Korea.