The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

National

Pentagon dismisses top editors and publisher of Stars and Stripes

The Department of Defense dismissed editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, publisher Max Lederer, and reporter Lara Korte amid an ongoing shift in the outlet's editorial focus.

By The Plain RecordUpdated August 21, 2026 at 7:42 PM EDT
Published August 21, 2026 at 6:11 PM EDT

The short answer

The Department of Defense dismissed editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, publisher Max Lederer, and reporter Lara Korte amid an ongoing shift in the outlet's editorial focus. The Department of Defense (DOD) fired the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a Middle East correspondent from Stars and Stripes on Friday.

Updates (1)

  • Update — August 21, 2026 at 7:42 PM EDT: The editor-in-chief of Stars and Stripes says the Pentagon has fired him as well as its publisher and a reporter.
Pentagon dismisses top editors and publisher of Stars and Stripes

The Facts

Who
Erik Slavin (Editor-in-Chief), Max Lederer (Publisher), Lara Korte (Reporter), and the U.S. Department of Defense.
What
The firing of the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a reporter at Stars and Stripes by the Pentagon.
When
Friday, August 21, 2026
Where
Washington, D.C. / The Pentagon
Why
Alleged insubordination following remarks to CBS News regarding editorial independence and a broader Pentagon effort to reshape the outlet's coverage.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. January 1, 2026

    Pentagon announces plan to refocus outlet on warfighting and remove 'woke distractions'

  2. April 1, 2026

    DOD removes newspaper ombudsman Jacqueline Smith

  3. August 18, 2026

    Publisher Max Lederer announces retirement effective Sept. 30

  4. August 21, 2026

    DOD fires Slavin, Lederer, and Korte for alleged insubordination

The Department of Defense (DOD) fired the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a Middle East correspondent from Stars and Stripes on Friday. The dismissals follow a series of moves by the Pentagon to alter the editorial direction of the historically independent military news outlet, which is staffed by Pentagon employees and partially funded by the department.

Erik Slavin, the former editor-in-chief, stated his removal was for insubordination after he told CBS News that potential censorship of news for service members would be a "red line." Correspondent Lara Korte also attributed her firing to insubordination after telling the same network she works for the newspaper rather than the Pentagon or any policymaker. The Pentagon had previously announced plans in January to refocus the outlet's content on "warfighting" and remove what it termed "woke distractions."

The leadership change follows the installation of Navy Capt. William Urban, an active-duty service member, as deputy publisher several weeks ago. This appointment drew inquiries from three Democratic senators. Additionally, publisher Max Lederer had announced earlier in the week that he would retire by Sept. 30, citing fundamental differences with the DOD regarding the mission and value of the outlet. In April, the department also removed the newspaper's ombudsman, Jacqueline Smith, who was responsible for monitoring editorial independence.

Service members and readers will likely notice a change in the publication's content as the Pentagon executes its stated plan to modernize operations and shift focus toward warfighting topics. The removal of the ombudsman in April had already eliminated the primary internal mechanism for reporting independence concerns to Congress. According to the National Press Club, these actions are viewed by journalism groups as an attempt by government officials to dictate news coverage and retaliate against journalists for their reporting.

The immediate impact includes the loss of the outlet's top civilian leadership and a veteran Middle East correspondent, shifting management to a structure that now includes an active-duty military officer in the deputy publisher role. The long-term policy direction remains tied to the Pentagon's January initiative to reshape the outlet's mission. Max Lederer's retirement is set for Sept. 30, 2026, while the department continues its efforts to adapt the publication for a new generation of service members. No specific dates for the appointment of permanent civilian replacements have been reported.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Pentagon dismisses top editors and publisher of Stars and Stripes?

The firing of the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a reporter at Stars and Stripes by the Pentagon.

Who is involved?

Erik Slavin (Editor-in-Chief), Max Lederer (Publisher), Lara Korte (Reporter), and the U.S. Department of Defense.

When did this happen?

Friday, August 21, 2026

Where did this happen?

Washington, D.C. / The Pentagon

Why does this matter?

Alleged insubordination following remarks to CBS News regarding editorial independence and a broader Pentagon effort to reshape the outlet's coverage.