The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

World

Quebec Separatist Leader Rules Out Independence Referendum During Trump Presidency

Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says the party will not seek an independence referendum while Donald Trump is U.S. President, citing economic risks.

Published August 22, 2026 at 6:08 AM EDT

The short answer

Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says the party will not seek an independence referendum while Donald Trump is U.S. President, citing economic risks. Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon announced that the party will not hold a third independence referendum for Quebec while Donald Trump remains U.S. President.

Quebec Separatist Leader Rules Out Independence Referendum During Trump Presidency

The Facts

Who
Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon, Prime Minister Mark Carney, and Quebec industry workers.
What
Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon announced a delay in seeking a Quebec independence referendum, citing the influence of U.S. President Donald Trump's trade policies and rhetoric.
When
Tuesday, August 18, 2026 (based on reporting date of Saturday, August 22)
Where
Quebec, Canada
Why
U.S. tariffs and annexation rhetoric have decreased public support for Quebec independence to approximately 30%, leading separatist leaders to prioritize economic stability within Canada for the duration of the Trump administration.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. January 7, 2025

    Canada rejects Trump comments on economic force

  2. June 4, 2025

    U.S. implements 50% tariffs on Canadian steel

  3. May 21, 2026

    Alberta lawmakers recommend October referendum

  4. August 17, 2026

    Prime Minister Carney eliminates Canadian programming tax

  5. August 22, 2026

    PQ leader vows no referendum during Trump term

  6. October 5, 2026

    Scheduled date for Quebec provincial election

Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon announced that the party will not hold a third independence referendum for Quebec while Donald Trump remains U.S. President. The decision follows a decline in support for Quebec sovereignty, which recent polling places at approximately 30%, a level analysts describe as the lowest in decades. Plamondon stated on Tuesday that the province’s political fate should not be influenced by "the upheaval of American politics."

The change in political strategy occurs as Quebec faces economic pressure from U.S. trade policies. In June of last year, the Trump administration implemented 50% tariffs on Canadian steel, significantly impacting the province's industrial sector. Quebec is currently scheduled to hold a provincial election by October 5, with the Parti Quebecois holding a narrow lead in current polls despite the shift in its referendum timeline.

At a steel factory near Montreal owned by The Heico Companies, operations director David Jeannotte reported that one-third of orders were lost within a week of the tariff implementation. The company laid off 140 workers, primarily in Quebec, and closed one regional plant. A March report from the Bank of Montreal projected Quebec's economic growth at 1% for this year, trailing the 2% growth projected for Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Individual residents will notice the effects of this policy shift through their employment and the regional political climate. Factory employees, such as those at The Heico Companies, have already seen job losses or voluntary hour reductions. Meanwhile, French-language cultural advocates, such as Marie-Anne Alepin of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Montréal, expressed concern that remaining in Canada under Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government could result in the loss of specific tax funding for French-language media productions. These residents will monitor whether federal government pledges to replace such taxes with direct funding are fulfilled.

The decision sets a precedent for how international trade relations can influence domestic separatist movements. By deferring a referendum, the Parti Quebecois is acknowledging that external geopolitical factors, including U.S. presidential rhetoric regarding annexation and trade irritants, can suppress local independence efforts. This development provides a reprieve for Prime Minister Carney’s administration as it manages separate tensions in Alberta, where a referendum on remaining in Canada is scheduled for mid-October. The next milestone for Quebec will be the provincial election on October 5, which will determine if the Parti Quebecois returns to power for the first time in 12 years.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Quebec Separatist Leader Rules Out Independence Referendum During Trump Presidency?

Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon announced a delay in seeking a Quebec independence referendum, citing the influence of U.S. President Donald Trump's trade policies and rhetoric.

Who is involved?

Parti Quebecois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon, Prime Minister Mark Carney, and Quebec industry workers.

When did this happen?

Tuesday, August 18, 2026 (based on reporting date of Saturday, August 22)

Where did this happen?

Quebec, Canada

Why does this matter?

U.S. tariffs and annexation rhetoric have decreased public support for Quebec independence to approximately 30%, leading separatist leaders to prioritize economic stability within Canada for the duration of the Trump administration.