The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

On the Hill

Sen. Rick Scott states President Trump will likely resume war with Iran

Sen. Rick Scott said President Trump will likely resume war with Iran following the expiration of a June interim deal and the continued blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

Published August 19, 2026 at 8:48 AM EDT

The short answer

Sen. Rick Scott said President Trump will likely resume war with Iran following the expiration of a June interim deal and the continued blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

Sen. Rick Scott states President Trump will likely resume war with Iran

The Facts

Who
Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) and President Donald Trump
What
Sen. Rick Scott's comments on the resumption of war with Iran following the expiration of a ceasefire deal.
When
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Where
Washington, D.C.
Why
The expiration of a ceasefire deal and the ongoing blockade of the Strait of Hormuz have led to increased calls for military action to address Iran's weapon production and maritime restrictions.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. June 2026

    U.S. and Iran agree to an interim deal.

  2. August 17, 2026

    Interim deal expires.

  3. August 18, 2026

    Sen. Rick Scott comments on potential for full war.

Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) stated Tuesday that President Trump will likely be forced to resume a full-scale war with Iran following the expiration of a ceasefire agreement. Scott's comments come after a failed interim deal between the two nations, which was established in June, expired on Monday.

The current escalation follows a period of economic and naval pressure exerted by the Trump administration. The president has utilized sanctions and a naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway for global energy exports. Iranian officials have responded by keeping the strait closed to commercial vessels, stating they will only reopen it if the U.S. lifts sanctions, unfreezes assets, and provides compensation for war damages.

During an appearance on "The Hill" on NewsNation, Scott affirmed his support for the president's previous threats to target Iranian infrastructure, such as bridges or power plants, if U.S. ships are fired upon. Scott suggested that while the president prefers diplomacy, the Pentagon may take further action within the next 30 days to diminish Iran's weapon production capabilities.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf addressed the situation on Tuesday, stating that U.S. officials are "out of their league" in attempting to secure new concessions through increased pressure. Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has indicated that the administration is preparing new sanctions that he characterized as unprecedented in scope.

The scale of the economic measures involves billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets and the potential for new, broad-based sanctions. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent indicated these forthcoming measures would exceed previous restrictions, which typically impact international banking, trade for federal contractors, and global supply chains. For individual consumers, these shifts in trade policy and the status of the Strait of Hormuz often manifest as fluctuations in the price of consumer goods and energy within weeks of implementation.

The situation also sets a precedent for how the U.S. manages maritime territory, as President Trump has proposed designating the Strait of Hormuz as U.S. territory. A transition from the expired June interim deal to active military engagement would shift the focus from diplomatic negotiations to defense operations. The next significant development is expected within approximately 30 days, a timeframe suggested by Senator Scott for potential Pentagon action, though President Trump stated earlier this week that he has no fixed timetable for a new agreement.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Sen. Rick Scott states President Trump will likely resume war with Iran?

Sen. Rick Scott's comments on the resumption of war with Iran following the expiration of a ceasefire deal.

Who is involved?

Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) and President Donald Trump

When did this happen?

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Where did this happen?

Washington, D.C.

Why does this matter?

The expiration of a ceasefire deal and the ongoing blockade of the Strait of Hormuz have led to increased calls for military action to address Iran's weapon production and maritime restrictions.