Erik Slavin, the editor-in-chief of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes, stated on Friday that he has been fired by the Pentagon alongside the publication's publisher and a reporter. Slavin told The Associated Press that the personnel actions followed his public comments regarding editorial independence and potential censorship of news provided to service members.
The newspaper receives partial funding from the Department of Defense but has historically maintained editorial independence from the chain of command. The reported dismissals follow a period of increased tension between the Trump administration and various news organizations, including legal disputes with The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, and a reduction in press corps access at the Pentagon.
Slavin stated his termination was a direct result of an interview with CBS in which he said that "hypothetical censorship of news for service members would constitute a red line." In addition to Slavin, publisher Max Lederer and Middle East reporter Lara Korte received separation notices. Lederer, who has served as publisher since 2007, had announced his retirement earlier in the week, effective at the end of September.
Lederer’s departure followed the Pentagon's decision to appoint an active-duty service member as deputy publisher without his prior knowledge. In a memo to staff, Lederer wrote that his leadership philosophy and understanding of the newspaper's mission "differ in fundamental ways" from the direction set by Department of Defense leadership. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has stated an intent to eliminate what the department labels "woke distractions" and exert more control over the publication.
The removal of civilian oversight and the introduction of active-duty personnel into the publishing hierarchy sets a new precedent for how the Department of Defense manages its internal media. Previously, the role of ombudsman—a position dedicated to safeguarding editorial independence—was eliminated in April when Jacqueline Smith was fired. These collective actions indicate a transition from a civilian-led independent editorial model to one more closely aligned with the executive branch's policy goals.
The financial and operational future of the newspaper remains tied to Pentagon funding, meaning taxpayers and service members are the primary stakeholders in these changes. Following these dismissals, three Democratic senators sent a formal inquiry to Defense Secretary Hegseth on Thursday regarding the appointment of the new deputy publisher. Further clarity on the newspaper's editorial direction is expected following Lederer’s formal departure date at the end of September 2026. The Pentagon has not yet publicly responded to the senators' letter or the specific claims regarding the separation notices.