The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

National

Trump Issues Military Threat to Oman Over Iran Negotiations

President Trump told Fox News the U.S. would target Oman if it interferes with U.S. efforts to negotiate the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Published August 17, 2026 at 3:25 PM EDT

The short answer

President Trump told Fox News the U.S. would target Oman if it interferes with U.S. efforts to negotiate the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump Issues Military Threat to Oman Over Iran Negotiations

The Facts

Who
President Donald Trump, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei, and Fox News reporter Trey Yingst.
What
President Trump threatened military action against U.S. ally Oman if it interferes with U.S. negotiations to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
When
Monday, August 17, 2026
Where
Washington, D.C. and the Strait of Hormuz
Why
The U.S. and Oman are pursuing separate deals to reopen a waterway that carries 20% of the world's energy cargo, and the U.S. president is signaling a move away from diplomatic mediation toward potential military escalation.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. February 2026

    U.S. and Israel attack Iran; Tehran blocks Strait of Hormuz

  2. June 18, 2026

    U.S. and Iran sign 60-day Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)

  3. July 8, 2026

    Trump declares ceasefire 'over' after resumed strikes

  4. August 17, 2026

    MoU expires; Trump threatens Oman and declines extension

President Donald Trump stated that the United States would take military action against Oman if the country interferes with U.S. negotiations regarding the Strait of Hormuz, according to a report by Fox News. The president reportedly used an expletive to describe the potential bombing during a phone interview. These comments come as the U.S. and Oman are conducting separate negotiations with Tehran to reopen the waterway, which has been largely closed for six months during the ongoing U.S.-Iran war.

The Strait of Hormuz is a vital maritime corridor through which approximately 20% of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas passes. Following military strikes by the U.S. and Israel against Iran in February, Tehran blocked the strait. Oman, which shares a border with the southern side of the waterway and identifies as a neutral party, has recently been struck by Iran and is currently engaged in its own talks with Tehran to restore shipping access.

Earlier on Monday, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei announced that Iran and Oman had reached an "understanding" regarding a transit route map. However, U.S. talks with Iran remain stalled. A 60-day Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the U.S. and Iran on June 18 is set to expire. President Trump told reporters at the Oval Office on Monday that he is not seeking an extension to the agreement, which was originally intended to facilitate a ceasefire and reopen the strait.

The shift in U.S. policy toward Oman could also impact diplomatic relations with other regional allies who rely on Omani mediation. If the U.S. follows through on threats of military strikes, it would establish a new precedent for U.S. engagement with neutral mediators during active conflicts. For U.S. service members and defense contractors, the expiration of the ceasefire agreement and the President's statement that he is in "no hurry" to end the war suggests a continuation of active military operations in the Middle East for the foreseeable future.

The immediate next steps involve the finalization of the deal between Oman and Iran. Iranian officials stated they will finalize details before issuing a joint statement with Oman, while the U.S.-Iran MoU reaches its formal expiration on Monday. Additionally, the Iranian Foreign Ministry has indicated that a full reopening of the strait depends on the U.S. paying compensation for alleged violations of the MoU, with Tehran reportedly seeking fees between 5% and 7% of cargo values from passing vessels. President Trump has reiterated that his primary objective remains preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Trump Issues Military Threat to Oman Over Iran Negotiations?

President Trump threatened military action against U.S. ally Oman if it interferes with U.S. negotiations to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

Who is involved?

President Donald Trump, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei, and Fox News reporter Trey Yingst.

When did this happen?

Monday, August 17, 2026

Where did this happen?

Washington, D.C. and the Strait of Hormuz

Why does this matter?

The U.S. and Oman are pursuing separate deals to reopen a waterway that carries 20% of the world's energy cargo, and the U.S. president is signaling a move away from diplomatic mediation toward potential military escalation.