The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

National

Trump Reduces South Korea Military Exercises Over Iran Policy Disagreement

President Trump ordered a reduction in joint military drills with South Korea after the nation declined to assist with U.S. military operations in Iran.

By The Plain RecordUpdated August 17, 2026 at 7:42 PM EDT
Published August 17, 2026 at 6:24 PM EDT

The short answer

President Trump ordered a reduction in joint military drills with South Korea after the nation declined to assist with U.S. military operations in Iran. President Donald Trump stated he ordered a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea after the country declined to assist the United States with military operations regarding Iran.

Updates (1)

  • Update — August 17, 2026 at 7:42 PM EDT: President Trump announced a reduction in joint military drills with South Korea, citing his relationship with Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to assist with Iran.
Trump Reduces South Korea Military Exercises Over Iran Policy Disagreement

The Facts

Who
President Donald Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung
What
Reduction of joint military exercises with South Korea
When
Sunday and Monday, August 16-17, 2026
Where
Washington, D.C. and South Korea
Why
South Korea declined to assist the United States with military operations in Iran.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. August 16, 2026

    Trump announces reduction in joint military exercises

  2. August 17, 2026

    Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises begin in reduced capacity

  3. August 27, 2026

    Scheduled conclusion of Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises

President Donald Trump stated he ordered a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea after the country declined to assist the United States with military operations regarding Iran. In an Oval Office address, Trump said he reached out to South Korean President Lee Jae Myung to request support for the denuclearization of Iran, but the proposal was rejected.

According to Trump, he questioned the refusal during a phone call with Lee, citing the presence of 39,000 U.S. soldiers currently stationed in South Korea to provide defense against North Korea. Trump described the requested involvement in Iran as a "very easy military operation," but stated that Lee indicated South Korea preferred not to become involved in the conflict.

The president further noted that he had previously secured billions of dollars in protection payments from South Korea, but said those agreements were rescinded by the Biden administration. The Biden administration subsequently signed its own cost-sharing deals with the country. Trump stated that the U.S. cannot protect countries that are "not there to help us."

The scale of the shift is centered on the multi-billion dollar cost-sharing relationship between Washington and Seoul. While Trump reported he previously secured billions in payments, the exact current dollar amount under the Biden administration’s renegotiated deals was not specified in the report. However, the reduction in exercises marks a departure from decades of established military strategy in the region, impacting the day-to-day operations of the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command and the defense posture of a primary East Asian ally.

The move has drawn criticism from lawmakers and retired military officials who describe the reduction as a potential risk to the alliance and regional stability. Retired Air Force Col. Cedric Leighton stated the change could have serious impacts on U.S. relations with both South Korea and Japan, noting that South Korea pays for a large portion of the exercises. South Korea’s presidential Blue House has expressed hope for future dialogue to maintain the relationship. The exercises are currently underway in a reduced capacity, and it remains to be seen if the U.S. will seek further troop or funding changes before the scheduled August 27 conclusion.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Trump Reduces South Korea Military Exercises Over Iran Policy Disagreement?

President Donald Trump stated he ordered a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea after the country declined to assist the United States with military operations regarding Iran. In an Oval Office address, Trump said he reached out to South Korean President Lee Jae Myung to request support for the denuclearization of Iran, but the proposal was rejected.

Who is involved?

President Donald Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung

When did this happen?

Sunday and Monday, August 16-17, 2026

Where did this happen?

Washington, D.C. and South Korea

Why does this matter?

South Korea declined to assist the United States with military operations in Iran.