The Plain Record

Neutral daily news — clear headlines, complete facts.

National

Trump Reports White House Ballroom Progress Following Supreme Court Order

President Trump says the White House ballroom is ahead of schedule as the Supreme Court temporarily allows construction to proceed amid funding disputes.

By The Plain RecordUpdated August 22, 2026 at 5:42 PM EDT
Published August 22, 2026 at 4:08 PM EDT

The short answer

President Trump says the White House ballroom is ahead of schedule as the Supreme Court temporarily allows construction to proceed amid funding disputes. President Donald Trump stated on Saturday that construction of a new ballroom and military complex at the White House is proceeding ahead of schedule and under budget.

Updates (1)

  • Update — August 22, 2026 at 5:42 PM EDT: The temporary order comes hours before lower-court rulings would have forced a halt to aboveground construction.
Trump Reports White House Ballroom Progress Following Supreme Court Order

The Facts

Who
President Donald Trump, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, and Attorney General Todd Blanche.
What
President Donald Trump provided a progress update on the White House ballroom and military complex construction following a Supreme Court stay.
When
Saturday morning, August 22, 2026
Where
The White House, Washington, D.C.
Why
To update the public on the status and funding of the White House ballroom project following a legal victory in the Supreme Court.

Timeline of what happened

Key dates and decisions, in the order they occurred.

  1. March 1, 2025

    Contractor records show $293M in private donations and use of agency budgets.

  2. June 16, 2026

    Washington Post reports records showing $600M estimate for project.

  3. August 21, 2026

    Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts allows construction to resume.

  4. August 22, 2026

    President Trump states project is under budget and ahead of schedule.

President Donald Trump stated on Saturday that construction of a new ballroom and military complex at the White House is proceeding ahead of schedule and under budget. The announcement, shared on Truth Social, follows a Supreme Court order issued Friday that temporarily allows above-ground work on the project to continue while legal challenges proceed.

The project has been the subject of ongoing litigation and public inquiry regarding its funding sources. Although the president stated the facility would be built with "ZERO Dollars of Taxpayer Money," previous contractor records from March 2025 indicated that while $293 million was slated to come from private donations, additional funds were expected to be drawn from the budgets of the U.S. Secret Service and the White House Military Office.

The estimated cost of the construction has fluctuated since its inception. President Trump initially told reporters the project would cost $400 million and be entirely privately funded. However, subsequent records reported by The Washington Post placed the total estimate at $600 million, with reports suggesting up to half of that amount could come from taxpayer funds.

The legal dispute centers on whether the administration can legally reallocate money appropriated by Congress for other agency purposes to this construction. A lower court had previously ordered a halt to above-ground work, but Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts issued a stay on that order Friday. This allows construction crews to resume visible work immediately, which the administration argues is necessary to provide a "safe space and a military installation" that has been needed for decades.

The Supreme Court’s current intervention is temporary and does not constitute a final ruling on the legality of the funding. The court will use the additional time to consider the administration’s emergency appeal. While no specific date for a final decision was reported, the project remains active in the interim, setting a potential precedent for how a president may use agency-specific appropriations for White House grounds improvements.

Summaries are written by The Plain Record to state the facts of a story plainly and without political slant. See our editorial standards, or report a correction.

← Back to the front page

Questions readers ask

What happened: Trump Reports White House Ballroom Progress Following Supreme Court Order?

President Donald Trump provided a progress update on the White House ballroom and military complex construction following a Supreme Court stay.

Who is involved?

President Donald Trump, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, and Attorney General Todd Blanche.

When did this happen?

Saturday morning, August 22, 2026

Where did this happen?

The White House, Washington, D.C.

Why does this matter?

To update the public on the status and funding of the White House ballroom project following a legal victory in the Supreme Court.