The U.S. Army plans to phase out a specialized drone battalion that was established last year to study lessons from the war in Ukraine. An Army official confirmed the decision on Thursday, stating that the unit will be transitioned back to its original role as an airborne infantry battalion following the completion of an exercise in September. The unit, known as the Unmanned Assault Battalion, had been designed to serve as a mobile group for drone-heavy deployments.
The decision follows leadership changes within the Army. The battalion was originally championed by former Army Chief of Staff Gen. Randy George and former commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa, Gen. Christopher Donahue, both of whom have since left their positions. Multiple current and former officials told CBS News that the move to end the unit comes amid tension between those senior officers and Gen. Christopher LaNeve, the acting chief of staff of the Army.
Current and former officials cited prior personal friction between LaNeve and Donahue, including a 2024 episode where LaNeve was reportedly moved out of his residence at Fort Bragg shortly after his tenure as commander of the 82nd Airborne Division ended. A spokesperson for LaNeve referred questions to the Army, which declined to comment on the specific allegations of tension. In a recent document titled "The Army Azimuth," LaNeve stated that the service will focus on soldiering fundamentals while incorporating new capabilities to defend against unmanned systems.
The move marks a shift in the Army Transformation Initiative, a program introduced last year by George and Army Secretary Dan Driscoll to emphasize unmanned systems. Retired Gen. David Petraeus told CBS News that Western militaries should be increasing drone-specific units, suggesting in April that armored battalions should be replaced with drone battalions. Conversely, the new leadership's direction emphasizes that while drone defense is a priority, the Army must prioritize the "fundamentals of soldiering" to win current conflicts.
The decision ends the specific experiment of a dedicated Unmanned Assault Battalion that could deploy wherever drones were required. A separate entity, the Ukraine Lessons Learned Task Force, remains in place to translate foreign battlefield experiences for the U.S. military. The Unmanned Assault Battalion will continue its current exercise through September, after which the unit will be officially refocused on infantry tasks. No specific date for the completion of the transition has been reported.